Crispy Five Spice Pork Ribs are twice deep fried marinated pork ribs, I am not sure where this dish originated but I had tried it in several Chinese restaurants here in New Zealand. It can be served as an appetizer or as a main dish but this crispy delight is definitely best with an ice cold beer, so if it’s a game night or you have some drinking party with your friends try this out, it is so simple to make and definitely be a big hit.
1 1/2 kg pork spare ribs, separated into individual rib
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 tbsp Five Spice Powder
1/2 tsp cayenne
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine
1. Combine together marinade ingredients, mix well then set aside.
2. Pat dry the pork ribs, place on a container then pour marinade. Make sure each rib is coated evenly. Marinate for 6 hours.
3. Place rib on a flat surface, place cornstarch in a fine sieve then sprinkle cornstarch on one side, turn over then sprinkle the remaining cornstarch on the other side.
4. Prepare a deep fryer or a large wok filled with oil, once oil is hot deep fry ribs in batches. Deep fry for 10 minutes.
5. Let ribs cool off before deep frying for the second time, once it cools down deep fry the ribs again for 8-10 minutes or until crispy.
6. Place in a paper lined plate to remove excess oil, and then serve.