Chermoula for those who haven’t tried or heard of it is a popular North African marinade which is usually used to flavour seafood and meats; it is a good replacement for those who do not like hot marinades but want to enjoy the robust flavours of North African Spices. Usually it is a made out of herbs like mint (if used for lamb), parsley and coriander (for other meats) combined with spices such as cumin, smoked paprika and turmeric. Additional ingredients are also added like oil, lemon juice, garlic, onion and salt to give it a refreshing flavour. Then for some people who like it hot cayenne pepper can also be added.
I know its winter there for most of my readers but down under it’s hot and sunny so forgive me if I am posting some recipes that remind you of summer. This recipe is nothing different it is everything great for the summer; grilled chicken, light salad and baba ghanoush cooked in open flame served in pita bread you can even make it while having your barbecue picnic at the beach.
Extra virgin olive oil
Ingredients (Chermoula Grilled Chicken)
1 whole medium sized chicken, cut in half
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup lemon Juice
1 whole garlic
2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Ingredients (Salad Fillings)
Iceberg Lettuce, chopped
Radish, thinly sliced
Onion, thinly sliced
Baba Ghanoush (recipe here)
- Place ingredients (excluding chicken) in a blender and puree until it becomes smooth.
- Spread mixture all over the chicken and let it marinate for at least 12 hrs.
- Grill chicken in high heat until cooked you can also roast the chicken by placing it in a 230C preheated oven for 15 minutes then lowering the heat for 190C and continue to roast for 40-50 more minutes.
- While chicken is cooking mix olive oil and minced garlic and brush it on the pita bread. Warm then on the grill or in pan.
- Place chicken on a big serving plate together with salad filling ingredients drizzled with lemon juice and pita bread.
- Eat it by putting some baba ghanoush in the pita bread, sliced chicken and salad.