Comida Tsina is a type of Filipino clay pot dish which consists of steamed rice cooked in hot pot together with chicken, Chinese sausage and mushrooms. This dish did originate from the Chinese Claypot chicken rice which is a common traditional dinner dish found in China, Singapore and Malaysia. Clay pot rice on the other hand did originate from Guangdong Province in China where it is considered a traditional delicacy. Traditionally cooking this rice meal is done using a claypot over a hot charcoal stove which gives it a really distinct smoky flavour and aroma, it has a lot of variations but the most popular ones are chicken and mushroom, spareribs with black bean sauce, pig liver, braised duck and dried meat. Modern versions of this dish retained the flavours but methods had changed, long gone are the days of charcoal and most of the families now do it in an electric version of claypot where vessel is still using an earthenware but the heat source is electric, it looks like a rice cooker but earth red in colour. Using the modern day would eliminate two of its important characteristic, the aroma and flavour the charcoal can give.
Now for this post I won’t be doing it the traditional way but I wish I can as I tried it in Hong Kong before and the taste is really different, it’s so rustic. Anyways what I am presenting to you is the next best thing less the fuzz as we will be using a rice cooker instead and here is how it goes.
2 1/2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
3 cups chicken stock
6 pcs shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and thinly sliced
400g boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
2 pcs Chinese sausage, thinly sliced
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp oyster sauce
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Chinese rice wine
1 tbsp sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks spring onions (white part only), thinly sliced
2 tsp ginger paste
4 tbsp oyster sauce
4 tbsp water
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp crispy fried garlic
- In a bowl combine brown sugar, cornstarch, oyster sauce, soy sauce, rice wine, sesame oil, salt and white pepper. Mix well then add the chicken pieces, set aside and let it marinate for an hour.
- In a wok add oil then sauté garlic, ginger and spring onions for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken and stir fry in high heat for 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and sausage then stir fry for 1 minute. Turn heat off then set aside.
- In a rice cooker combine chicken stock and rice, press cook function. When it starts boiling add the chicken and mushroom mixture on top. Cover and let the cooking process continue.
- Once cook program is finished let it stay in warm for 10 minutes.
- Place all sauce ingredients in a sauce pan and bring it to a boil then turn heat off. Serve with rice.