Last summer I bought a lot of berries as its cheap and they can be frozen and used in a lot of things like baked items, smoothies and ice cream flavours like this post, the Mixed Berries Swirl Ice Cream. If you haven’t been following my posts this is not the first ice cream I made and in fact I had posted some already like the pistachio and some unusual ones like the cheese and purple yam though they all proved to be popular I decided to make something normal today anyways it’s a good excuse to use all that stocked up berries and eat ice cream at the same time.
2 1/2 cups cream
1 1/2 cup milk
1 cups sugar
4 eggs yolks, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients (Berry Swirl)
1/2 cup raspberries
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup strawberries
4 tbsp brown sugar
juice from 1 1emon
1 tsp cornstarch
1. In a sauce pan combine cream, milk and sugar. Heat slowly while continuously mixing until it reaches nearly boiling point (do not boil) and sugar is completely dissolved
2. Place egg yolks in a mixing bowl then slowly pour around a cup of the heated cream mixture while whisking.
3. Pour egg mixture to the sauce pan then continue to heat while continuously mixing. Dip a tablespoon and see if liquid sticks to the back side, if it does then you can now turn the heat off.
4. Place in a heat proof container, let it cool down then place in the fridge for at least four hours.
5. In a small saucepan combine together blueberries, 2 tbsp brown sugar, juice from 1/2 lemon and 1/2 tsp cornstarch, cook in low heat while crushing berries. Once all berries are mashed and thick remove from heat then set it aside to cool down.
6. In another small saucepan combine together raspberries and strawberries, 2 tbsp brown sugar, juice from 1/2 lemon and 1/2 tsp cornstarch, cook in low heat while crushing berries. Once all berries are mashed and thick remove from heat then set it aside to cool down.
7. Prepare your ice cream maker and pour the cream mixture, churn according to ice cream manufacturer’s instruction. Mine took 30-35 minutes.
8. You can now lightly fold in the two different berry mixture then freeze for at least 6 hours.