Watermelon and Haloumi Salad

One of the best cheeses you will ever taste is Haloumi specially when freshly fried or grilled, the mozzarella like texture of inside and semi crispy outer layer combined with its salty taste is something to drool for. Just on its own is already a treat but for this instance we will be using it in a summer salad and match it with sweet watermelons and grilled tomatoes which further accentuates the flavours of each other.

Watermelon and Haloumi Salad

Serves: 3-4
  • ½ punnet cherry tomatoes
  • 200g Haloumi cheese, sliced
  • ½ small watermelon, sliced into triangles
  • roughly chopped fresh basil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  1. Brush grill with oil then grill haloumi and tomatoes until charring occurs. Remove from grill and set aside.
  2. Arrange watermelon, grilled haloumi, grilled tomatoes and chopped basil in a dish.
  3. Mix together olive oil and garlic then drizzle over salad. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Watermelon and Haloumi Salad Wide

No Responses

1. Guia Obsum says:

All I can say is… OMG!!! I so love this photo, and I am drooling!! Galeng!!!

2. I’ve had a strawberry and haloumi salad before and this sounds equally delicious.

3. YUM! We used to go to a local wine bar where they served something similar and I’ve posted about it on the blog but your salad is a cut above Raymund! By the way we always have haloumi in the fridge, the kids LOVE it.

4. This sounds wonderful, the textures take it over the top — YUM!

5. elizz says:

looks sooo good..

I never thought of pairing cheese and watermelon. I wonder if we can find haloumi here. I’ve never heard of it. This looks delicious and perfect for this summer. :)

7. Gourmantine says:

I have tried watermelon with feta before, which was fantastic, but I think grilled haloumi has just knocked that idea down :)

8. Eha says:

I have paired haloumi [which I also love!] with watermelon but not added tomatoes before . . . have to try!

9. I love haloumi, but I’ve never thought to pair it with watermelon. Yum!

I love watermelon with feta cheese but I’ve never had it with a grilled cheese. This looks like a really delicious salad. Can’t wait for the watermelon to start showing up in the markets, but it’s going to be a while. I’ll be pinning this one. Thanks!

11. Kiran says:

I’ve never had haloumi salad with fresh fruit before. So intrigued and that looks delish :)

12. Tessa says:

That salad looks great! I’ve never tried haloumi before… It’s now on my must try list!

13. lediae says:

Wow… I must try this salad!

I’ll have to make this for my family :) My husband hates watermelon but I love it and I love the idea of matching it with grilled haloumi (personal fav!) and tomatoes.

15. Definitely one to try! I love the slow-melt cheeses like Halloumi!

LOVE that photo Ray ! And I’ve never thought of pairing haloumi with watermelon before, yum !

the whitish chunk is cheese?? hmm, i’ve never had haloumi before.. interesting mixture with watermelon..

18. Peytona Waddy says:

Eating grilled haloumi and watermelon together now…sounded so delicious i couldn’t wait to get the other ingredients – had to try it now! So glad i did. The taste/texture contrasts are so good, i’m gonna have to go outside and slap somebody (as we say down south)