Chorizo, Chiken and Shiitake Carbonara

Pasta is the Italian counterpart of what rice is in Asian cuisine it’s so versatile you can just throw any ingredients to it and create a wonderful complete dish; this post is one example of it. I made this pasta one lazy day where all I want to do is lie around the couch and watch TV and surf the net, I was too relaxed that day and forgot that it is already lunch time and I have to cook something really quick, so I hurried up and look what our pantry have to offer. Usually what I do when I am in a hurry to cook something it will either fried rice, mixed vegetables or some pasta. I did the latter and here is the result, a pasta that combines the East and West.

300g Fettuccini or Spaghetti noodles, cooked according to packet instructions
3 pcs Spanish chorizo, sliced
6-8 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and sliced
1 cup finely diced chicken
1 1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup water
3 eggs, beaten
grated parmesan
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 small white onion, finely chopped
olive oil
freshly ground black pepper

1. Sauté garlic and onions and cook until onions are soft.
  2. Add chicken and chorizo then cook for 2 minutes.
  3. Add mushrooms then cook for 2 minutes.
  4. Turn heat on high then add cooked pasta, cream and water then bring it to a boil and simmer in high heat for 1 minute. Mix well to distribute sauce evenly.
  5. Turn off heat then add beaten eggs, lots of grated parmesan and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Mix well and let the residual heat cook the beaten eggs.
  6. Serve immediately and top with grated parmesan cheese.

1. That looks delicious. Creamy :)

2. thammelissa says:

Thanks for sharing this recipe on the methods for cooking the carbonara. It looks quite simple. I like carbonara, but often find the easiest way….by using canned/ready made sauce :-p

3. C.H says:

omg!!! i’ll definetly going to make this recipe…. today’s lunch!! yummy!

4. Chorizo and Fettucine are a winning combination. I too love the use of exotic mushrooms in pasta and (there’s a secret-or not so secret ingredient) in Heston Blumenthals (in search of perfection) where he uses the shiitake mushrooms in his Bolognese for the umami. So I know that you’re definitely onto a good thing!

5. Looks tasty! I cook the same way, anything is fair game for fried rice or pasta!

6. Purely.. Kay says:

Raymund I’m in LOVE with this dish. it’s totally making me hungry right now. I have to make this

7. Kiran says:

Perfect comfort food!

8. nsobiek says:

Carbonara is one of my favorites. Looks great with the chorizo and mushrooms. Check out the version on my page!

9. Wow. What a creamy looking pasta dish!

10. Eha says:

What lovely fried rice . . . umm, noodles ;) !

11. Juliana says:

Love this recipe…so flavorful and creamy…yum!
    Enjoy your week :)

12. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

I was thinking of making carbonara tomorrow lunch! I love the addition of shiitake. Great umami flavor from there. This looks really good, Raymund!

13. Mmm, I am liking the Spanish chorizo sausage in this — delish!

14. I never turn down anything with Shiitakes…my favorite.

Easily one of my favorite dishes! Love the shiitakes in this version. I’m drooling now!

What a fabulous pasta! Love the use of the Spanish chorizo something I don’t use a lot, but love. thanks for the recipe!

17. Tessa says:

Looks awesome!

That’s a mighty big pan of deliciously comforting-looking pasta !

19. mushroomscanada says:

Amazing flavours! The chorizo and shiitake’s really make a great combination…thanks for sharing!

-Shannon