I guess I will eat any seafood that is served in front of me (except for sea urchin), I love everything about them the taste, the texture, the aroma and the variety. Combine them all together then my jaw would easily drop and my salivary glands would produce its secretion non-stop. It does not matter how its cooked as I think with seafood it’s hard to get it wrong as long as you don’t over season it and use non fresh ones, that is why dishes like Seafood Paella, Bouillabaisse , Zarzuela, Pancit Malabon, Seafood Fried Rice or this post it will always be a champion for me. If you are a seafood lover then you should make something like this, it’s very tasty specially when clams are used, the seafood alone packs a lot of flavour adding oyster sauce to the formula makes it stand out even more.
300g fish fillet, sliced into bite sized pieces preferably white flesh fish
300g prawns, shelled and deveined
12 pcs mussels
2 pcs squid, sliced
1 cup surimi
4 tbsp oyster sauce
1 cup water
1/2 thumb sized ginger, sliced into strips
6 cloves garlic
4 stalks spring onions, sliced separate white and green parts
1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine
2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cayenne
freshly ground black pepper
1. Place 2 cups water in a pot then bring it to a boil, once boiling drop mussels and cook until shells open. Remove mussels from pot then set aside.
2. Using the same pot, continue to boil water then add the fish, cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove fish from pot then set aside.
3. In a wok add oil then bring heat to high. Once oil is near its smoking point add squid and prawns, flash fry in high heat for 2 minutes. Remove from wok then set aside.
4. Reserve 1/2 cup of liquid from the boiled seafood then mix this together with oyster sauce and brown sugar. Set aside.
5. Using the same wok sauté garlic, ginger and white part of spring onions.
6. Add the Chinese cooking wine, cayenne pepper and then the diluted oyster sauce. Bring it to a boil then add the surimi, cook for 1 minute.
7. Add back the cooked seafood, then cook while gently folding for 2 minutes.
8. Add the green part of spring onions then season with salt (if needed) and freshly ground black pepper. Serve.