Lelot Balatong or Guninataang Monggo is a type of Rice porridge mixed with mung beans cooked in coconut milk. A popular Filipino dish which is commonly served during merienda (afternoon tea). I totally forgot about this dish, I even can’t remember when was the last time I had it. Luckily today this was waiting for me when I came home thanks to my wife who made it for merienda.
1/2 cup mung beans
1/2 cup glutinous rice, rinsed and drained
400ml coconut cream + extra for topping
1 cup water
1/3 cup sugar + add more if you want it sweeter
1. In a pan add mung beans, place in medium heat and toast until brown. Once all toasted set aside to let it cool.
2. Using a food processor, lightly pulse mung beans just enough to crack it open and not pulverize it. If you don’t have a food processor you can use mortar and pestle to crack the mung beans.
3. Using a pot pour half of the coconut cream and water then bring it to a boil.
4. Add the glutinous rice and mung beans then stir, cook in very low heat for 20 minutes stirring occasionally and adding water if needed. Once liquid is absorbed by the rice and mung beans and mixture becomes thick add the remaining coconut cream and sugar, stir and simmer for 5 more minutes.
5. Serve hot with extra coconut cream for topping.