The first time I saw this dish in Malaysia I thought it was not a good at all but one day I run out of choices and exhausted every Malaysian dish that I liked so I tried this one, surprisingly it was so good. I know the restaurant owner so I asked him what’s the ingredients which also surprised me as it only contains 5 key ingredients which are squid, okra, curry powder, onion and garlic. Since then this is a part of the family menu which we prepare for once in a while.
I’m not sure though if this is a pure Malaysian dish as I had seen a hard-core version of this dish which is called Squid and Okra in Sambal, which is a very spicy and hot dish. I guess this dish is prepared for foreigners in Malaysia who are not used to their spicy counterpart.
- 3 pcs squid, sliced into rings
- 300g okra
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- In a pan, heat oil and sauté garlic and onions.
- Add curry powder and okra, stir fry for 3-5 minutes until okra is half cooked.
- Add the squid and stir-fry for additional 2 minutes in a very high heat.
- Add a small amount of water to give moisture, simmer for 1 minute.
- Season with salt.