Filipino Style Coconut Macaroons

Macaroon is a generic word to define any light and baked confection usually presented as small cakes or meringue-like cookies. There are many variations of this small dessert from coconuts to almonds and meringues. The word macaroon came from the Italian word maccarone or maccherone which is derived from the word ammaccare, meaning beat or crush. That definition pertains to the almond paste which was used as the main ingredient of the original macaroon recipe. Though all variations of macaroon are so different to each other they all contain sugar and eggs.

As history suggests the first version of macaroon is a type of an almond meringue similar to amaretti and it all started by monks in an Italian monastery during the 9th century. Then it was passed over to France in 1533 when monks coming from the same monastery seeked asylum in France together with pastry chefs and two Benedictine nuns named Sister Marguerite and Sister Marie-Elisabeth. These two sisters paid for their accommodation by baking and selling macaroon cookies and later on become popular and known as the “Macaroon Sisters”. Later on Italian Jews adopted the recipe because it has no flour or leavening, which can be consumed during the eight-day observation of Passover. Gaining popularity with the Jewish community it was then passed to other European Jews. Later on coconut was added to the recipe and some even totally replaced it like the ones we have in the Philippines. If you compare the French macaroon to the Philippine one you won’t even notice they had the same roots.

For those who haven’t tried this recipe, it is way much easier to prepare compared to its French counterpart, in fact this is one of the easiest desserts to make.

Filipino Style Coconut Macaroons

• 400g desiccated coconut
  • 400g condensed milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • ½ cup butter, cubed in room temperature
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 4 eggs
  1. Place butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and using a hand mixer cream mixture until light and fluffy.
  2. Add eggs and condensed milk then mix in medium speed.
  3. Add the desiccated coconut, mix well until well blended.
  4. Place in small moulds lined with paper cups then baked in a 180c preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until top turns golden brown.
  5. Let it cool down before serving.

1. Hi Raymund, these are a very tasty trip down memory lane. I used to love the retro macaroons with a little glacé cherry when I was little and my mum made them in teeny tiny petit fours cups. Nowadays we all get oohed & aahed by the fanciful French version (also delicious) but its a nice & tasty change to see these again!

2. These look so good.
    :-) Mandy

3. elizz says:

i bake these goodies every now and then or when the kids requests for some.. these are so delicious..

Those do sound easy to make. I’ve never made macaroons before and I like your coconut version. :)

5. These look delectable. Love coconut and this twist on macaroons!

6. Maccaron on a cute lil baking cup…
    looks adorable phal!

7. Betty says:

Delicious and flourless, which is just what I’m looking for! :)

8. Reminds me of puto! Yum!

9. These Filipino macaroons look cute and super delish! I want to reach and devour them so bad!!!

10. Love the fact that you put them in the little blue baking cups. I wonder if these are more chewy than the standard macaroons. They sound very chewy and delicious.

11. Charles says:

Oh, making these would be a bad idea for me. I’m not to be trusted around coconut macaroons. They just have this delightful “lightness” about them, don’t they… makes you feel like you could eat the whole lot in 5 minutes flat! I love that these are in little cups, unlike English coconut macaroons which are more like little piles. Seems to give them much more “depth”.

12. jlaceda says:

I grew up eating these macaroons, although we bought them from Hizon’s bakery in Malate. Wish somebody had made me these home versions…they must smell and taste really good!

13. bettyannq says:

Ang sarap! These coconut macaroons are one of our family’s favorite. You just reminded me I haven’t made them in a while. Must try your recipe :-)

14. These look excellent! So good – thanks.

15. Those look amazing. Macaroons are one of my favorites.

16. Oh yum! Anything with coconut has my devoting attention :D

Another fascinating history lesson – I would never have known !

18. These are so cute! Your history behind the food is always educational. :) Now I have craving for these delicious macaroons!

19. emelyn says:

I will try to make this recipe of yours ….my kids love this for night snacks.

20. jellie says:

pwede ba to sa steamer lutuin? kasi steamer lang ang meron ako. pls. reply..:(

21. Megan says:

Could I bake these outside of the little cups? Would that affect the baking time?

22. mary says:

How long will these keep for in an airtight container? can i make them in a fews advance for a party?