I guess there are a lot of variations on this noodle soup but it all boils down to two main ingredients, fishballs and noodles. I always saw this before in restaurants but never ordered them, I always had the perception of it tasting really light so I never cook them at home as well. All of it changed during the last couple of months when friend of mine served this for dinner alongside other dishes, I saw a lot of people enjoyed it and I decided to grab some for me as well. To my surprise it tasted really good, its light but it definitely have lots of flavour on it. I asked how he made it and it was relatively easy so I made my own version at home.
Note: You can use ready-made wonton soup base mix if you want it easier (this is what my friend used), but if you want to be free in defining the taste of your soup base you can follow or even adjust the recipe below.
250g fresh yellow noodles
300g assorted fish cakes and fish balls
chopped spring onions
crispy fried garlic
6 to 8 cups of soup base (see below)
1. Cook fresh noodles according to packet instructions.
2. Pour soup base in a pot, add the assorted fish balls and fish cakes then bring it to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Place noodles in a soup bowl garnished with chopped spring onions and crispy fried garlic
4. Season soup with fish sauce then pour on top of soup bowl with noodles.
Ingredients (Soup Base)
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups shrimp stock
6 tbsp crispy fried onions
3 stalks spring onions, chopped
ground white pepper
Method (Soup Base)
1. In a pot add all wonton soup base ingredients together and bring it to a boil.
2. Simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Using a muslin cloth drain soup into a separate container.