One of the cuisines that I am currently obsessed with is the Taiwanese cuisine, they have endless choices of really delicious and simple dishes, this one is a good example. A really hearty noodle dish and a really good dish to have on a really hungry tummy, it combines all the goodness of a beefy soup, large chunks of tender shanks, thick noodles and crispy vegetable greens. For Filipino’s the best description I can give this is Bulalo served in Lomi noodles.
Ingredients (Beef Soup)
1 kg beef shanks (roughly 3 large cuts)
2-3 pcs beef leg bones cut in half
1 thumb sized ginger
2 large onions, sliced
Ingredients (Seasoning Paste)
2 tsp brown sugar
6 tbsp Szechuan peppercorn
2 tbsp ginger paste
1 whole garlic, minced
2 tsp Chinese five spice
2 tsp cayenne
Shanghai noodles, cooked
Baby bok Choy, blanched
Crispy fried shallots
- In stock pot combine Beef shanks and beef leg bones, add enough water to cover the beef pieces. Bring to a boil and wait until the scum rises. Turn heat off, drain then rinse with cold water.
- Place the leg bones and beef shanks together with the remaining beef soup ingredients, add enough water to cover everything. Bring to a boil then simmer for an hour.
- Prepare the seasoning paste, in a small pan add oil and caramelize the sugar. Once melted add the remaining seasoning paste ingredients, give it a quick stir fry then add this mixture into the simmering soup.
- Continue to simmer for 2 more hours. Drain the soup using a fine sieve to get a clear broth, place them on a separate pot. Remove the top layer of oil (you can easily do this by cooling the soup first and refrigerating, the top will harden and easily removed).
- Slice into manageable bite sized pieces the cooked beef and any meat and tendons you can get from the beef bones. And place them back into the pot of soup.
- Place the soup pot again on stove top and simmer, season with a bit of soy sauce and fish sauce.
- Place noodles in soup bowl, top with blanched baby bok choys and coriander. Ladle some hot soup and add some chunks of meat then top with crispy fried shallots. Serve while hot.