Mie ayam is one of the most popular noodle dishes in Indonesia, it is a type of a deconstructed chicken noodle soup where yellow wheat noodles (bakmi) is served separately from the soup. If you look closely at the photo above each element the of dish is quite visible as they are separated from each other from the seasoned chicken, boiled vegetables and the sambal (sauce). The chicken soup which is clear also contains visible elements like fried wontons, boiled wontons and/or meatballs.
Now you might be wondering how is this noodle dish is consumed? well it’s all up to you to enjoy it but the most common way is dipping the noodles on the chicken broth, there are also some people who prefer adding the broth to the noodles once it is served (I prefer it this way).
Ingredients (Chicken Toppings)
500g boneless chicken thighs, cubed
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger paste
2 tbsp mushroom flavoured soy sauce
1 tbsp kecap manis
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tbsp cornstarch
350 minced pork
1 small shallot, minced
2 tbps cornstarch
Ingredients (Chicken Soup)
3 litres water
1 kg chicken soup bones
6 inch sugar cane, peeled and cut in half
1 thumb sized ginger, sliced
4 shallots, roughly chopped
6 cloves garlic, pounded
black pepper corns
Fresh egg noodles
Pork Lard or Chicken Oil
Ground white pepper
Method (Chicken Toppings)
- In a bowl mix together mushroom flavoured soy sauce, chicken pieces, cornstarch and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- In a wok add oil and sauté garlic and ginger, add marinated chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and continue to stir fry, cook until sauce is reduced and thickens. Turn heat off then set aside.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl then form them into small balls. Set aside.
Method (Chicken Soup)
- In a large pot combine all Chicken Soup ingredients, bring to a boil. Simmer in low heat for 45-60 minutes then turn heat off.
- Using a fine sieve, drain soup into another pot.
- Place pot in medium heat then bring it to a boil, add and cook prepared meatballs on chicken stock.
- Cook noodles according to packet instructions, drain then set aside.
- In a big bowl combine one serving of cooked noodles, drizzle of chicken oil, light soy sauce and ground white pepper. Mix well.
- Top with cooked chicken and blanched kailan.
- Place chicken soup with meatballs on a smaller bowl.
- Serve both bowl with sambal on the side.
Please don’t forget to join our competition, we are giving away C Coconut Water cases to 3 lucky winners for more details on this competition please click here.