Filipinos love grilled and sizzling dishes, in fact if I can remember there are heaps of restaurants back in my home country that offer their dishes on a sizzling plate from classic dishes like Sisig, beef steaks, grilled chicken, pork chops, fish and this dish Sizzling Teriyaki Squid. A simple dish made out of grilled squid served on a rich teriyaki sauce, it can be enjoyed as a mains or even matched with an ice cold beer as a side dish.
Ingredients (Sizzling Squid)
2 large fresh squid with tentacles, cleaned and scored
toasted sesame seeds
Ingredients (Teriyaki Sauce)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1/4 cup mirin
1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup packed brown sugar (add more if you want it sweeter)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Method (Teriyaki Sauce)
1. Mix together soy sauce, 3/4 cup water, mirin, ginger, garlic and brown sugar in a sauce pan then place them in medium heat. Bring to a boil.
2. Mix remaining water with cornstarch, pour into the sauce pan. Heat until sauce thickens then set aside.
Method (Sizzling Squid)
1. Prepare a sizzling plate by placing it on stove top on high heat.
2. Cook squid in a grill for 2-3 minutes on each side.
3. Remove sizzling plate from the stove top.
4. Place squid on sizzling plate then pour sauce on top. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds then serve while sizzling hot.