Blanquette de veau is a simple and delicately flavoured French veal stew. The word “blanquette” came from the French word “blanc” which means white, as this dish is a made out of a white sauce ragout, to add to the delicate flavour and light colour the meat and butter is never browned during the cooking process.
The traditional recipe uses veal but if you have difficulty finding veal you can also use other white meats such as pork, rabbit and chicken but that does not mean beef or lamb can’t be used, it’s not just traditional. The meat is then slowly simmered in stock with bouquet garni, onions and carrots then thickened by roux, cream and egg yolks best enjoyed with rice or potatoes.
- 1 kg veal shanks
- 2 white onions, halved
- 2 carrots, chopped
- half lemon
- 100g butter
- 20 pcs white pearl onions
- 250g brown mushrooms
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup cream
- flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 bouquet garni (6 parsley stalks, 2 celery stalks, 1 bay leaf, 6 peppercorns, 3 thyme sprigs, placed inside muslin and tied)
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a pot add veal, white onions, lemon, bouquet garni, 1 tbsp salt and enough water to cover meat.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add carrots and simmer for additional 15 minutes.
- Now remove onions, lemon and bouquet garni. You can throw this away as we will not be using them anymore.
- Using a colander, separate broth and meat. Set aside.
- Heat up a heavy pan and put 25g butter, add pearl onions and mushrooms. Pan fry for 4 minutes then set aside.
- Add the remaining butter and flour, mix until it thickens (becomes roux), add around 600 ml of stock and mix well make sure it’s free of lumps, bring to a boil then add the cooked meat, carrots, mushrooms and pearl onions. Simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Now add the cream and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for additional 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add egg yolks and give it a good mix, serve with chopped parsley on top.
I guess by know you know what had happened to the Philippines last weekend so for those who wants to donate money to the victims of Typhoon Haiyan here are some organizations that are currently deploying urgent relief efforts. Note each of the links will point you to their donation forms, any amount would be a great help for my fellow countrymen.