Asparagus season is nearly coming to an end here in New Zealand so before that happens I will be sharing an easy stir fry recipe which uses this wonderful vegetable, you can pair this with any meats or with rice.
1 large bunch asparagus, cut into 2 inch strips
5 pcs shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and sliced
1 red capsicum, sliced
1 white onion, sliced
3/4 cup water used for rehydrating mushrooms
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp minced ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
1. In bowl combine 1/2 cup water, oyster sauce and cornstarch. Mix well then set aside.
2. Prepare a wok, add oil and turn heat to medium. Add the ginger and garlic, stir fry for 30 seconds.
3. Add asparagus and shiitake then stir fry for 1 minute. Pour the remaining 1/4 cup of water then cover, let the steam cook the asparagus until it dries out.
4. Remove the wok cover then add onions and red capsicum, stir fry for a minute.
5. Pour the prepared sauce then stir, cook while continuously stirring making sure vegetables are coated with the sauce.
6. Turn heat off then season with freshly ground black pepper, drizzle sesame oil on top then serve.