Chinese Style Braised Beef

I remember the first time I tried and enjoyed this dish was from a Filipino-Chinese Fast Food restaurant called Chowking, a very tasty beef in sweet savoury Asian style sauce topped over a steaming hot jasmine rice. Packed with a lot of different flavourful sauces cooked slowly in a wok, a dish that is bit fuzzy and time consuming to prepare but the definitely it’s worth the wait.

Now for a bit of information sharing, for those who does not know, braising is a cooking method where meat is seared in high temperature then boiled in liquid in low simmering heat. This cooking method is common in Chinese and French cuisine, the methods are the same except for the utensils used, the Chinese uses Wok and the French uses a deep pot. This method also enhances the flavour of the meat due to the searing process giving it a different dimension in flavour as compared to just boiling it. So if you are used to boiling meats in your recipe try changing your method and braise it instead and you will notice the difference in flavour immediately.

Chinese Style Braised Beef

Serves: 6
  • 800 g Beef Brisket, Stewing Beef or Chuck Steak, cubed
  • 2 pcs medium carrots, sliced into 1 inch cubes
  • 2 cups Beef Stock
  • ½ cup Chinese Wine
  • ½ cup Water
  • 1 tbsp Fish Sauce
  • 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
  • 2 tbsp Oyster Sauce
  • 2 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
  • 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice Powder
  • 1 tsp lemon rind, finely grated
  • 1 tsp orange rind, finely grated
  • ½ thumb sized ginger, sliced thinly
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 1 tbsp Sugar
  • 2 tsp Sesame Oil
  • 2 tbsp Peanut Oil
  • 3 stalks spring onions, chopped
  1. On a wok add peanut oil, bring the heat to high then brown the beef on all sides
  2. Add ginger and garlic and stir fry with beef.
  3. Add Chinese Wine, Water and Beef Stock bring to a boil.
  4. Add Fish Sauce, Soy Sauce, Oyster Sauce, Hoisin Sauce, Sugar, Five Spice, Lemon Rind and Orange Rind.
  5. Cover the wok and simmer for 40 minutes on low heat, add water if necessary
  6. Add carrots and sesame oil simmer for additional 30 minutes or until beef is tender.
  7. Serve on steaming hot rice and top with spring onions.

No Responses

1. Wow! What a wonderful meal! I love all the flavours.
    Have a super weekend Raymund.
    :-) Mandy ox

2. Love the sound of this recipe. I’m a big fan of braising to will try this soon, thanks.

3. dodongyetwah says:

Reblogged this on dodongyetwah and commented:

namit!

4. I bet this is delicious and filled with combo of flavors judging from the sauces you used. I will make this this as well.
    Today, I am going to make your char siu for my noodles. I will post it in my blog if I will get good pictures. Thanks for the share.

5. Oh, great looking beef! Yum!

6. Michelle says:

Looks so delicious. And I love the top photo.

7. Dear Raymund,

I love this dish especially in winter. In summer I prefer it tossed with wonton style egg noodles over steamed rice.

8. kitchenriffs says:

I love any kind of braised beef, and Chinese-style is wonderful. This looks terrific! And so easy. Thanks.

9. cquek says:

They do look good…very good.

10. Wow! Ang sarap! This is soooo yummy. I remember Chow King from Manila and just took those times for granted. Now we miss them, don’t we? I’ve bookmarked this Chinese style braised beef to make soon. Thanks for sharing and the nice blog visit, Raymund. Hope you had a terrific CNY !

11. In Portugal braising is becoming more and more common, too. Love the dish!

12. I could eat this gorgeous dish any day of the year I’m so eager to make this!

13. I could eat this right this minute! (Probably the whole dish!) :D

14. Sheila Marie Lee says:

I tried this recipe and it tastes sooo good! Now, i won’t be craving much of the food from Chowking….I can make it anytime I want! i will definitely do this very often! Yummy!

1. February 13, 2014

[…] me, I like to switch from one cuisine to another when I found mouth-watering recipes. I tried this Chinese-style braised beef from Angsarap. I was taken back after knowing that there are some condiments used in the recipe and […]