Bulalo is a Tagalog word for beef shanks, traditionally in the Philippines the most popular way of using this meat cut is in a dish called as “Bulalo” or “Bulalo Soup”, it is a very sought after dish specially its bone marrow. Recently around the late 90′s a dish called bulalo steak started to get popular in different restaurants and bars, not sure who started it though but I first saw it in Gerry’s Grill. So what is a Bulalo Steak? Similar to its closely related dish the Bulalo Soup, it is a dish made out of beef shanks which is also cooked by boiling in water together with herbs and spices but it does not end there as it is then grilled then placed on a sizzling plate together with rich brown gravy and sometimes buttered vegetables as well as mushrooms.
Filipinos love bulalo and you can see this by the number of bulalo specialty restaurants and eateries everywhere, Filipinos love sizzling food as well that is why in most bars and restaurants steaks are served on hot plates so this dish is an instant hit to the Filipino people as its a marriage between the two favourites that is already well loved and time tested.
So if you love meat and never tried this, I suggest you do so I am sure having one of this will satisfy your taste buds real good!
- 3-4 pcs beef shanks
- 1 head garlic, pounded with skin on
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 2 tsp rubbed parsley
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1½ cup reduced beef stock (from boiling the shanks)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tsp mushroom powder (you can also use dried shiitake and grind it on a coffee grinder)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups white button mushrooms, sliced
- fried onions
- In a pot place all bulalo ingredients, pour enough water to barely cover all ingredients. Bring it to a boil then simmer for 1½ to 2 hrs. or until beef is tender. Remove from pot then set it aside.
- Continue boiling the stock until reduced, drain using a muslin cloth to remove non liquid ingredients then set it aside.
- In a pan add 2 tbsp butter and cook mushrooms, remove from pan then set aside.
- Using the same pan add 3 tbsp butter and garlic, stir for a minute then add mushroom powder, stir again for a minute.
- Add flour to the pan then mix roux.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, reduced beef stock and onion powder. Cook until sauce thickens then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place a sizzling plate on stove top with heat on high. While waiting the plate to become hot, brush shanks with small amount of oil. Place shanks on the sizzling plate then leave it for 3-4 minutes then turn it on the other side. Add mushrooms on top then pour gravy on top. Then serve while sizzling hot.