Biko

I am so craving for some rice cake now, you can’t blame me as I haven’t tried them for quite sometime and now is the payback time. Just imagine I grew up with rice cakes as a part of my daily life as my grandparent always prepare them for merienda (tea time) then in the last 10 years I do barely taste this traditional treats.

So what is biko? It’s a rice cake made out of glutinous rice cooked in coconut milk and palm sugar then topped with caramel, latik (a type of reduced coconut cream) or both. It is one of the popular rice cakes in Philippines and usually prepared during special occasions such as family gatherings, parties, holiday season and fiestas.

Compared to other rice cake recipes, you need a bit of patience here but not that much compared to some other intricate rice cakes or traditional treats such as sapin sapin, ube halaya or yema. With this recipe you will constantly stir the rice for around 20 minutes to prevent it from sticking in the pot, then bake it, while waiting for its initial baking procedure you have to create the top layer by again constantly the mixing ingredients until it thickens then pour on top and finalize it by baking further. If you notice the ingredients listed below, this rice cake will lean more on the sweeter side compared to the other ones I posted so you have to be a sweet tooth to enjoy this otherwise you can adjust the sugar levels according to your liking. Now here’s my recipe.

Biko

Serves: 24-32 slices
Rice Cake
  • 2½ cups glutinous rice
  • 4 cups coconut cream
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • banana leaves
Topping
  • 2 cups coconut cream
  • 250 g palm sugar or dark brown sugar
  1. In a pot combine all rice cake ingredients apart from the banana leaves, bring it to a boil while constantly stirring, then continue simmer while constantly stirring for 15-20 minutes or until the liquid is fully absorbed by the rice.
  2. Line a rectangular dish (11 x 7 x 2 in) with banana leaves then pour the cooked rice mixture, flatten and distribute evenly across the dish.
  3. On a sauce pan over combine the coconut cream and palm sugar, cook in medium heat wilt constantly stirring until the liquid has reduced in half.
  4. Pour and spread the topping evenly into the rice mixture and bake on a 180C pre-heated oven for 20 - 25 minutes.
  5. Let it cool before serving.

I could go for some of that cake right about now too! Especially as I sit here with my tea. :)

2. I’ve had Biko before but it did not contain caramel. Must try your recipe, anything with caramel gets my attention.

3. Amanda says:

This looks so good! It has all my fave ingredients. Yum!

4. Arlene Poma says:

I visited the Philippines (Christmas 1968). The one treat that I cannot get out of my mind was the rice treat (bibingka?) that was stuffed into bamboo. Your recipe looks so good, but I am too lazy to fix it for myself because it’s just me and my husband. And I don’t think he’s all into Filipino desserts. Still, I can get chummy with one of the relatives and crash one of their gatherings. Then I can eat all I want!

5. Michelle says:

In my next life, I want to be a Filipina. You all have the most interesting desserts!

6. This looks amazing! I want to gobble a bar or two :) I think I’ll make it at some big party so that I can talk and take turns stirring too!

Rice desserts are some of my favorites but I have never seen anything like this before. This looks downright scrumptious! I totally melted when you said “topped with caramel”!

8. Reblogged this on YOLO and commented:
    I miss my grandma’s biko :(

9. leah says:

I usually cook the rice in coconut milk first either in the rice cooker or on the stove top. Then I add it to the brown sugar in a wok. I also add squash. That’s when I start the process of stirring until the mixture is sticky and toothsome. This prevents the rice from being undercooked as I seem to see in the picture.

1. July 5, 2014

[…] My brother loved this desserts, Biko is basically a rice cake made of glutinous rice cooked in coconut milk then poured with coconut caramel on top of it as sweetener. Biko is among very popular in Visayas and Mindanao regions in the Philippines, it usually prepared during special occasions such as family gatherings during holiday seasons for it is superstitiously believed to bring luck due to the biko’s sticky textures that once the whole family eats it at a time together they will stick together for a longer period of time. So I put biko on my second best 15 Filipino desserts, and if you need to know how the biko is being made, check it here. […]