Beef Kofta

Beef Kofta

Kofta is a type of Middle Eastern meatball which typically consists of minced meat such as beef, mutton and lamb plus an array of spices and herbs. It can be grilled, fried, baked or poached. A very old dish which dates back to 525 BC when the Persians invaded Egypt and left this recipe that was derived from the nearly similar dish called Koobideh. Later on the name was changed to kofta and was derived from the Persian word “kuftan” which means to grind or beat. These early versions of kofta are larger than what you see today as they are rolled into orange sized balls then it is glazed with egg yolks and saffron.

A must try dish when you go to any Middle Eastern restaurant or even a gathering, a good start to get introduced to the spices and flavours or Middle Eastern cuisine especially when you haven’t tried it or even not used to it as this is a bit milder compared to the various dishes that this wonderful cuisine have to offer.

Beef Kofta

Serves: 3-4
  • 600 g minced beef
  • 1 small white onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ handful flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
  • ½ handful coriander, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground allspice
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • ½ tsp ginger paste
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • salt
  1. In a large bowl mix all ingredients together.
  2. Make small logs out of the mince meat mixture and place them on skewers.
  3. Prepare a grill (charcoal works best) and cook kebabs.

1. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

I’m still new to Middle Eastern dish. I know a few dishes including kofta but not familiar with many dishes. Your beef kofta looks perfectly grilled. Looks so yummy!!

2. Leomora mercado says:

You can cook this also with fried round potato and slice round tomatoes on top with tomato sauce mixture.. Its so masarap!!

3. buttoni says:

Those look wonderful, Raymund. LOVE Middle Eastern food and make koftas often. Your spice mix for these sounds unusual and VERY good.

4. I’ve made something similar to this and would note that ground meat with a low fat content will tend to be dry, which is why I think lamb works so well. Great dish and quick to put together. :)

5. Tessa says:

Looks delicious! Lovely combination of spices!

6. Food Forays says:

These look delicious and I’m definitely going to give them a try!!

Yummy kofta, interesting use of cinnamon here – it sounds delish!

I remember seeing these when we were looking up Middle Eastern recipes. I think we also had some at a restaurant a while back. I like the spices in this recipe. :)

9. These look fantastic. It’s a dish I’ve wanted to make forever too. Thanks for the reminder.

10. Eha says:

I think I first fell in love with kofta because of their usual oblong shape: much more fun than ‘meataballs’ :) ! What I haven’t put into my spice mixes quite irreverently I can’t think of, but yours is a moreish recipe. Agree with Judy that some lean mixes can cook dryish, but then there is all that yogurt etc on side . . . :) !

11. Amy Tong says:

I just visited a Middle Eastern restaurant near by hubby’s office the other day and had this dish! It was so delicious and flavorful. I totally enjoyed the spices in it. Now, I can make this at home. :) I’m sure my hubby will be very impressed when I serve this.

12. jlaceda says:

Kofta is one of my go-to Middle Eastern recipes! After visiting Israel and sampling delicious Middle Eastern food, I’m addicted! And since we have a large ME ethnic groups here in Canada, I have no problem accessing really great ingredients to make kofta or other Middle Eastern food.

The spices for this beef are awesome! Just give me about 4 of those skewers and I’ll be happy.

14. I love Kofta, this looks fabulous!

15. teacher-chef says:

I love that these use beef – super easy to find all those ingredients! Looks so yummy, along with a fresh salad & some feta outside… yum!!

16. Brent says:

The recipe looks fantastic. what’s the correct measurement for the beef? 600? Grams?

17. Vinnie Aguilar says:

Hi. How do you make that yoghurt sauce, pls?

1. April 15, 2013

[...] Beef Kofta (Angsarap) — Oh yes, you must look at these. [...]

2. September 10, 2014

[…] that meatballs are not just Italian food? There are meatballs all over the world including Asia, the Middle East […]

3. October 16, 2014

[…] was tired and hungry so I got the Mixed Grill $33.00 where it has everything like Barbecue Ribs, lamb kofta, skirt steak complemented with roasted vegetables, potato confit and tzatziki . I can smell my […]